High School Diploma Subject And Course Requirements
Credits Required for Graduation: 42*
The following courses are required to earn a high school diploma. All courses at Laurel Preparatory Academy are aligned to California State Content Standards.
English Languages Arts: 8 semester credits
- Grade 9 English: 2 credits
- Grade 10 English: 2 credits
- Grade 11 and 12 English : 4 credits – 1 credit in a course that emphasizes American Literature and 3 credits from a prescribed list
Mathematics: 6 semester credits
- Algebra or Integrated Math I: 2 credits
- Geometry or Integrated Math II: 2 credits
- Intermediate Algebra or Integrated Math III or Pre-calculus or Honors Pre-calculus or Statistics: 2 credits
Science: 4 semester credits
- Earth Science, Physics, or Chemistry: 2 credits
- Biology: 2 credits
Social Social: 6 semester credits
- World History, Geography & Economics
- US History
World Languages and Visual & Performing Arts: 2 semester credits
- Option 1 2 semesters of World Language (both semesters must be same language)
- Option 2 2 semesters of Visual and Performing Arts
Electives: 13 semester credits
Career and Technical Education, Service Learning and Work Experience Education: 2 semester credits
- Option 1 2 credits of Career and Technical Education (CTE)
- Option 2 2 semesters of Service Learning
- Option 3 2 semesters of Work Experience
Pathways Exhibition All seniors at Laurel must complete a Pathways Exhibition Portfolio and Presentation.
Senior Orientation Students graduating from Laurel Preparatory Academy must attend a senior orientation with a parent/guardian in order to participate in the graduation ceremony.
*42 units are required to be completed. May be earned by completing additional courses in the above areas or through elective courses completed in other areas such as physical education.
School Policies As a student or parent at Laurel, it is important that you become familiar with Laurel’s policies and procedures. Please take the time to review our Student and Parent Resource Guide. A hardcopy of the Resource Guide is provided to each student and parent upon enrollment.